Our School Crest
Our school crest represents the values that we see as important in our school. Here is an explanation of what it means.
- The tree represents friendship, co-operation, and inclusion which are central to our school life. The children are at the centre of the tree reaching out with welcoming arms. We value the friendships between pupils and the nurturing environment provided for the pupils. We endeavour to promote co-operative and harmonious relationships based on open communication between parents, management and the wider community.
- The open book represents the pursuit of learning and knowledge. The learning experiences the pupils gain in Greaghrahan NS will help to build a solid foundation and we hope that they build on this foundation and continue to learn and develop throughout their lives.
- The railway track represents the history of the local area. The Cavan and Leitrim narrow gauge railway line which ran between Leitrim and Belturbet between 1887 to 1959 passed close to the school.
- The football represents our love of Gaelic football in the school and our links to our local Drumlane GAA club, with the green and white colours featuring prominently on the crest. The blue and white colours on the book are also symbolic of Co. Cavan.
- The cross represents our rich Christian heritage and our school’s Catholic ethos which guides us in everything we do.
- The paint palette represents the love of the visual arts in the school. The children are encouraged to express themselves creativity in their learning.
- The fern: Greaghrahan or Gréach Raithin in Irish translates as “the rough pastureland of the ferns.” The fern also signifies the beautiful rural location where our school is situated.
How we Designed our New Crest
- A whole school assembly was held where the Student Council invited all the pupils to design their own individual school crest. They were encouraged to consider what they value in the school, their learning, the activities they participate in, local landmarks and colours and symbols that would have meaning for our school.
- There was a great response from the pupils and all who entered went to great efforts incorporating symbols on the crest that they believed were a true reflection of their life in Greaghrahan NS.
- The Student Council examined the creative efforts and a number of recurring themes emerged. Friendship, academic learning, appreciation of the environment, sport and local history featured in many of the pupils’ designs.
- The staff also discussed the symbols chosen by the Student Council and came up with possible designs.
- With these elements in mind the crest was designed and sketched by Mrs. Prior and then digitised by a graphic designer.
- The Student Council attended a Board of Management meeting. They presented their proposed design for the school's new crest, explaining the process that had taken place. They also explained what each part of the design represented. After some deliberation, the Board of Management voted and then unanimously ratified the design as our new school crest!
- We are very proud of our new crest, not just because it is attractive and colourful, but because it represents the values that we the children identified as important in our school.
Student Council Greaghrahan N.S.